Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 20:26:10 -0000

John,

I agree, absolutely.  That's why I think the photo list does well
when it says what something isn't.  I have several that I posted
without realizing they were wrong.  Having the mis-identification
pointed has kept me from distributing further under a mistaken ID.
One is so close that it may even be correct, but doubt keeps it from
going out under the name it was sold under.  As for a positive ID, I
suppose I might have an AB at some point that I wanted to be sure
enough to acquire and grow another side by side to see if I could
ascertain if I had a correct cultivar.  But I'm skeptical even on
doing that.  If a misnamed iris gets distributed widely enough under
the wrong name, then the comparison might match and it still be a
mistaken identity.  I think the older iris may have this problem
more than recent intros, but it's a scenario that I fear is more
plausible than we'd like.  After all, one commercial distributor
unknowingly distributing a misnamed cultivar over several seasons
and those acquiring it sharing and trading under the wrong name is
all it would take.  It probably would take years, if ever, to get it
straightened out.  So I think this forum is good for raising
questions on IDs.  Sometimes one just doesn't know what they think
they know.  I personally like to know of the mistake so I don't
perpetuate it further.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, John I Jones <jijones@u...>
wrote:
> I guess I would say that it is reasonable to say one iris is
obviously
> not a particular cultivar (e.g., Splashacata is obviously not
Edith
> Wolford) from two pictures, but unless you had some additional
> information such as "I think I switched name stakes on these two
> irises, which one is which?" you can not identify either one
> absolutely.
>
> I know I am being a pain in the you-know-what here, but I have
seen way
> too many mis-identified irises to not stand on this soap box....
>
> John
>

> On Sep 2, 2005, at 6:37 AM, Char Holte wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I think Betty is absolutely correct here.  Trying to sort out
Two very
Autmirislvr@a...
> >> Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 6:32 AM
> >> To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
> >> Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: NOIDS [was: Just in from seller]

Also, the

> >> Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6
> >> Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
> >> www.thegardensite.com/irises/bridgeintime/
> >> Reblooming Iris - Home Page
> >> iris-photos archives
> >> iris-talk archives
> >> AIS: American Iris Society website

> >> Silk plant
> >> Plant maintenance
> >> Plant safety
> >> Plant relocation
> >> Plant grow light
> >> Exchange
> >>
> >> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >>
> >>    ▪      Visit your group "iris-photos" on the web.
> >>
> >>    ▪      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >>
> >>    ▪      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms of
> >> Service.
> >>

> John                | "There be dragons here"
>                           |  Annotation used by ancient
cartographers