  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: QUEEN DOROTHY
  • From: Kent Appleberry appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:23:36 -0600

Haven't tried posting a photo before, so we'll see if this works.  There are already several good shots of this one in the archives, but it's the only one I have to take a photo of.  It's blooming today.  The smaller shots on the left are from yesterday before it bloomed.  It is a cold weather rebloomer, but this is the first bloom for it here.  Got it last fall from Randell Bowen, Iris By The Creek, in Shelby, North Carolina.  Was part of a row-run sale, labeled Queen of Calico, but I suspect it was just growing too close to Queen Dorothy.  I also got a plant labeled Queen Dorothy, which I just noticed is also sending up a bloomstalk.  This is on the short side for a tall, registered at 29.5", and this stalk is considerably shorter than that.  It's relatively cool here, I haven't applied any fertilizer, and it's the first stalk, so no surprise there, really.  It's on the road to modern form, with wider falls than the older ones, but still distinctly older looking than today's.  I like it.

Sanpete County, Utah, zone 4b/5a
where the fall colors are starting to form in the mountains

This should be a photo of Queen Dorothy