Re: RE: REB: Bernice's Legacy

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] RE: REB: Bernice's Legacy
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:50:16 -0400

What a joy to see that color at this time of year, Mary Lou!  Wish we knew what produced it, but its parentage is unknown.  A good argument, though, for not throwing away an orphaned seed or an unidentified rhizome.  I usually don't get any rebloom here, except from my own seedlings, and they are very late rebloomers  -- from end of October through late December. Those later ones, of course, get zapped by a freeze sooner or later.  (Interestingly, one which blooms here at Halloween blooms more than a month earlier elsewhere.)  At any rate, we have had the driest September here since they started keeping records more than 120 years ago  --  1/100th of an inch.  It's a rare year when I feel I have to water my established irises, but this is such a year.  So, it will be interesting to see if even my own seedlings rebloom.  --  Griff