Re: HYB: PFIC1-reb

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: PFIC1-reb
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 07:59:16 -0000

Thanks.  I've now seen the photos via hort.net archives.  That's
pretty extreme.  Weather maybe?  Or else one of those that are just
different after maiden bloom?  I finally had one that looked
different this year - better IMO.  It seems to me there are several
types of color change in the life of some blooms.  Some change as
the pigments get stretched by the bloom after initial opening and
continued expansion.  They often lose color saturation and expose
more pattern and background color.  There are also those that fade
in the sunlight after the bloom is fully expanded.  I assume there
would be combinations of both the previous in the same bloom
depending on the pigments involved.  It's not uncommon in arilbreds
for the expansion of the bloom to change the appearance of the
pattern.  Some have some outright fading, too.  Some TBs fade badly
in my Texas sun.  Reds, browns, bronzes especially can have
problems.  Depending on what other pigments may be under the color
that fades dictates whether they fade gracefully and stay attractive
or try to mimic a dirty toesack instead.  Until I grew SATAN'S
MISTRESS, I thought all reds would fade.  But it is totally color
fast and no matter what the cross, it's seedlings inherit its color-
fixing quality to a high degree - even on the few that had ugly
color and might well have benefited from some fading :).  So there
may be some other component combined with color that affects sun
fade besides pigment alone.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links