RE: HYB:inheritance of flower form (was TT05-55a=Louvois X Rom. Ev. on photos)

  • Subject: RE: HYB:inheritance of flower form (was TT05-55a=Louvois X Rom. Ev. on photos)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 06:55:36 -0400

Another nice result from an oldie.

Look at that nice change in shape of the falls from LOUVOIS to the
seedling. LOUVOIS has what I call 'banjo' shaped falls, while the
seedling has much rounder ones.

Have any of you grown enough oldie x modern seedlings to know how this
trait is passed along?

I'm assuming there is a gradient from concave (banjo) to convex (fully
rounded), but haven't grown enough babies to be sure. I do avoid making
crosses between an old banjo and a new iris if the falls have any
concavity along the haft, but I'm not sure how important that is.

In other words, I don't know if fully rounded falls can come in one
generation from banjo falls. I'm assuming that doesn't happen, but
don't know. Maybe back in the early days of hybridizing, rounded falls
were considered a fault.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group