Re: seedling of Bold 2009 MTB

  • Subject: Re: seedling of Bold 2009 MTB
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 21:11:07 -0700

I've tried growing a few of both...............that was probably a good 10 to 15 years ago. What I've been told by other iris lovers is the reason they don't bloom here is because they don't get enough of the chill factor they need (in the winter) in order for them to bloom. We have warm winters here, kind of spring-like actually. Occasionally we may get a night that dips to freezing or even into the mid 20's.

Now TB's that have the 'Aphylla' gene, will usually dwindle away to 'nothing' in a year to a year and a half here. They can't seem to take the 100 + degree tempts we have which lasts for over a period of 5-6 months out of the year. Unfortunately, quite a few great TB's, even some Dyke Medal winners, just can not survive here if they have that 'Aphylla' gene. Fortunately, besides TB's, we can easily grow BB's, LA's, Arilbreds, and Spurias. :_)

I've heard the opposite is true too......that quite a few iris introductions developed in warm climate states will not perform well in the colder climates states. The colder climates NEED the iris to have that "Aphylla' gene in order to make it through the cold winter and bloom the following year.

I'm thinking that in order for a TB to grow and perform well in both the hot AND cold locations (states), they may need one 'Aphylla" gene and one 'hot climate surviving' gene in there DNA. That may possibly hold true for MTB's as well.

~ Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.