Re: Crabgrass with photo

  • Subject: Re: Crabgrass with photo
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:36:10 -0700 (PDT)

Francesca,  Yes, I do have over three acres but I only try to control the weeds in the iris and flower areas - about 1/3-1/2 acre.  I do try to pull the 2-3 in tall seedlings and they are not the problem.  It is the clumps which come from the underground runners.  They can travel over a foot and are frequently over 6-8 inches deep.  They go under and through the iris rhizomes.  As I dig and try to pull them out it disturbs the rhizomes.  Also, the runners break off and every node which escapes grows.  It is a tedious process to try to follow and get them out without digging up the rhizomes.  That is why I am seeking a method to kill the grass without disturbing the rhizomes.

I am attaching a picture to show everyone what I am dealing with.  Maybe you call it something else.  Here we call it crabgrass.

Thanks to you and to everyone else.

Jan in Chatsworth