Re: HYB: HoM X Renown sdlgs

  • Subject: Re: HYB: HoM X Renown sdlgs
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:05:52 -0400

There are about 14 seedlings from this cross in this age group (~half a
dozen younger, not big enough to bloom yet).

So far, 3 have bloomed, 2 were white, one had cream or yellow, but small
flowers on a 6 inch tall stalk and got beaten to pieces by 9 inches of
rain, and I didn't get a photo or look closely at it. At least another
2 are making stalks - depending on first frost date, may or may not get
to see them this fall. 5 or more/14 = ~1/3?

I didn't inspect the first seedling closely, but the photo (non-glamor
shot attached) shows yellowish brownish (i.e., yellow plus anthocyanin)
veins on the hafts and strong yellow/gold beard. The one currently
blooming, has no yellow visible except distinctive color - pale (almost
greenish?) yellow beard in the throat. May not be alternate yellow
pigment, but is an alternate looking shade of yellow ;-). I will see if
my upside down camera trick can capture it.

HoM occasionally gives t beards in crosses with pinks. I think I've
seen two - one from CSONG, one from PINK QUARTZ. So I think that means
it has regular yellow as well?

When you asked about "shoulders", Donald, I assumed you meant the yellow
shoulder patch that some irises have (i.e., GOLD BURST type) which my
own pet theory is that it's genetically related to yellow fall spot
pattern, <not> the yellow or pink version of the anthocyanin variegata
type spot.

Did you mean that type of solid "blush" of yellow or the yellow (usually
plus anthocyanin) haft veins that Chuck is talking about?

Either way, I dunno.

This year, one of the few successful crosses was HoM X an orange
seedling. If enough of them live and bloom, that might answer the
alternate yellow question.

Linda Mann
east TN
gorgeous fall weather - 49oF last night