Re: HYB: pigment (was sdlng from Pink Formal etc)
  • Subject: Re: HYB: pigment (was sdlng from Pink Formal etc)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 08:20:44 -0400

I miss Neil too. Thank goodness for the hortnet archives!

But also thank goodness for Chuck Chapman, who has continued to help us
along with more details.

As I understand it, and hopefully Chuck or others will chime in if I get
this wrong, 'true' pink only occurs with tangerine factor and the
pigment is NOT soluble in alcohol/water.

But, yes, Christian, there is also a pinkish shade of anthocyanin. I've
attached a photo of "cloud shadows" X ABOUT TOWN. The unedited one
shows how much blue is actually there, but from across the garden, it
looks like a really bright pink. I tried to edit the photo to show what
it looks like to the eye, rather than the camera, but it actually looks
even pinker than this from a distance.

However, when you get close to it, you can see it has a bluish cast,
plus all the pigment washes out in rubbing alcohol.

And yes, brown is the result of both yellow and blue pigments present -
blue in the cell sap (washes out in water or alcohol), yellow in the
plastids (does not wash out in water or alcohol).

I have no idea if the pink looking blue (anthocyanin) pigment in the
pink looking ones is the same chemical compound as all the other shades
of blue and purple, modified by other pigments, or if it's a different
anthocyanin. My guess is that it's the same pigment, just modified by
other mysterious (to me) things.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7
thrilled with 9 3/4 inches of rain. It has been so dry, creeks never
even got over the banks.

JPEG image

JPEG image