Re: Re: HYB: pigment (was sdlng from Pink Formal etc)
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: pigment (was sdlng from Pink Formal etc)
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:00:44 -0400 (EDT)

You are absolutely correct on this Linda.  A light wash of the anthocyanin delphinidin gives a bluish wash to  the pink. A lot of the intense or hot pinks have  a light wash of anthocxyanin,

A  mix containing a bit more anthocyanin gives you a buff-tan  colour such as on my Buckskin Babe.

But brown is a mix of yellow and a wash of anthocyanin.

Before lycopene started showing up, giving seashell pink as it was called then, there were some  light lavender-pink iris called pink. These were actually as mix of pale yellow and a medium-light wash of delphinidin anthocyadin.  There were a number of pallida  species or near species cultivars that were of this "pink"  colour.  With the introduction of lycopene  the definition of pink changed.

Chuck Chapman