Re: [iris] HYB: REB: rebloom potential baby?
  • Subject: Re: [iris] HYB: REB: rebloom potential baby?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 20:31:44 -0400

No way this tiny seedling will be big enough to bloom in two months, by
which time we "normally" are having freezing weather. Doubtful it will
be big enough by spring, unless it thinks it's a median. ;-) I should
have put a ruler in the photo.

My question wasn't that, it was is it any indication of rebloom
potential if a seedling ('rhizome' is about 1/8 inch in diameter) starts
putting up increases while it's this tiny.

I've never seen a seedling this small already producing increases. I'll
go check leaf blade count - I think it was around 5, but will check to
see if there are any leaf scars (will have to use a hand lens!) ;-)

I'm assuming this is from a seed that sprouted in July/Aug, tho it could
be one that came up this spring and was too small to line out.

I was hoping you would say that it's broken, has no hormones in the
apical meristem and, will keep producing increases, and increases on the
increases as long as it's warm enough, and that each fan will produce a
bloomstalk. ;-)

<The main fan is now primed. If it was a summer rebloomer stalk would
be starting. If a fall cyclic will start to bloom in about two months,
which may be a bit late for this season, so in that case will hold
over till spring.

Chuck Chapman?>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b