Re: Belamcanda chinensis

From: "Mark Cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

BJ,
> I am growing these Blackberry Lilies for the first time in my zone 3
> garden.  They look healthy with lots of leaves but no flowers.  Is there
> some special trick to get them to produce blooms?  They will be dug after
> first frost and stored in the unheated basement to try again next year.

     Let us know how this works.  Blackberry Lilies appear to need a fairly
long growing season in order to bloom.  They start blooming in early June in
Florida, July in Kentucky, and August in Zone 4.  Don't overfertilize them.

> They are just so pretty, I had to try them.  Also, don't know the
botanical
> name but after 3 years of growing Peacock Orchid, this year I got one to
> bloom.  It is white with a purple splotch in the middle and a nice musky
> scent.  They, too, have to be dug every year and stored overwinter.
> Anybody know what the botanical name is for this one?  I'll scout around
> and see if I have a photo to share a little later.

     The botanical name for Peacock Orchid is Acidanthera bicolor.  I have
heard that it has been reclassified as a Gladiolus, but I am not for sure.
Mine are blooming now.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, Florida.

ATTN ONELIST USERS: stay current on the latest activities,
programs, & features at ONElist by joining our member newsletter at