HYB: optimal germination temperature

  • Subject: HYB: optimal germination temperature
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:41:57 -0400

I'm going to print this out and put it on my refrigerator as a reminder
of optimal temperature for burrito-ing seeds.

After much discussion and rummaging on the web with Chuck, I've
concluded that he could be right <g> that 2 months of chilling is
adequate, but only at optimal temperature, about 44oF. Below 40oF
(temperature recommended for food storage), chilling rate will be half
(or less) than that at optimal temperature.

If the food is freezing now and then, temperatures are low enough that
it could easily take twice as long (i.e., 4 months).

Thermostat on my ancient fridge is impossible to keep at any target
temperature, but with it operating at around 45oF, some of this year's
seeds are already sprouting after about 1 month in the fridge (ripe but
not dry pods put in fridge without shelling for a couple of weeks, then
seeds shelled, burrito'd without soaking, immediately back in fridge).

So now they are sprouting too early! Too hot outdoors.

Linda Mann

JPEG image