CULT:Borer Moth and Eggs

  • Subject: CULT:Borer Moth and Eggs
  • From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:47:12 -0500

This September John Bruce and I collected several borer pupa. They were placed in a 3 gallon aquarium. It had a screen top, dirt, dead iris leaves and on planted rhizome with green leaves.

I saw that they had hatched out and moths were dead. Today I remembered to check for eggs. I found 6 moths and one old borer casing. There were 8 pupa placed in the aquarium.

What happened to the other borer casings? The ends of the moths wings were missing. I would imagine from beating against the metal screen on the cover. One moth was ok photo attached.

I found two patches of eggs. Most are transparent which should be good eggs. I have raised tropical fish and know that unfertile eggs turn opaque white. Photo shows white eggs.

Photos showing both patches and one showing close up. One

Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b
SW Ohio
Succeeded From Region 6