Fwd: Note from Anner for Iris-photos, with Picture

  • Subject: Fwd: Note from Anner for Iris-photos, with Picture
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:22:43 -0700

From Anner Whitehead.

Greetings:

The photo is a conventional 35MM, some years old now, and cropped for
my purposes here, but very good for seeing the salients of the
blossom about which I wish to ask, including its distinctive hairline
argeratum blue belly streak. The color is very good in this shot,
although slightly too dark.

This handsome, strong, historic Tall Bearded iris has been grown by
my neighbor for some years. Identification has, so far, proven
elusive, although Philip and I are still working on it. I thought
perhaps someone here might recognize this fine blossom. This is not
Lent A. Williamson, although there are similarities.

This is a pbf iris, with smudges on the bottom two or three inches of
the fans. The blossom in 2009 measured 5 inches in height, and the
plant bloomed late midseason at 35 inches. It has a sweet, musky
fragrance, moderately strong. The style crests are lavender, and the
underside of the very tip of the golden beard is lavender, to match
the belly stripe.

Anyone familiar with this charmer?

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead