Re: A. titanum ???

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Kruse <pkruse2000@mindspring.com>
To: Julius Boos <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
Date: Saturday, April 01, 2000 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: A. titanum ???

Dear Paul,

It is good to be able to make what now appears to be a positive I.D. of the
plant you honestly thought to be A. titanum as being in fact A.
paeoniifolius!!   The rough petiole is the clincher.
This is reassuring to the growers who struggle to keep 'true' A. titanum
growing and alive!

Continue to enjoy growing your plants, ALL species are wonders of Nature!!

Thanks for your help in this attempt.

Cheers,

Julius

>I sincerely appreciate your help in the matter of identifying my
amorphophallus sp.  I have been playing phone tag with my botanist friend,
but hope to talk tomorrow morning.  Since the two plants I flowered were in
1983, and I left them behind when I moved to St. Croix, I only have a vague
memory of the blooms.  The one I have now is about 3 feet from my computer
so I can describe it.  It is certainlly starting to appear that my plant is
A. phaeoniifolius.  The petiole; is 1.5 meters in length and 5 cm diameter
at the base.  There does not appear to be any ribbing to the surface.  It
is, however, a light green with the irregular dark areas you described.  The
surface is covered with numerous, small bumps, about 1 mm in height.  If my
Botanist friend can remember where she got the tubers, I will let you know.
No matter what species it is, I am going to continue to find out the best
;way to raise it as a house plant. Thenks again.  I will be back in touch.
Paul<,