Among the Potted Plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Among the Potted Plants
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:58:07 -0500 (CDT)

Hello, Aroid-L,

I'm not sure this is an appropriate thing to write about (but if not, the
moderators will surely intercept it anyway), but I felt moved to write this.

It has been a long time since I was sufficiently settled in one place to
accumulate many plants; I have had to content myself with helping care for
others' plants, and having a few cheap and common ones of my own.  The
other day I was at Home Depot, and was pleasantly surprised to see
Peltandra sp. and Colocasia being sold there, right alongside other
wetland-garden plants (such as Saururus cernuus).  How I wished I had a
permanent garden in which to grow that beautiful species.  And then I
walked inside.  I must be more plant-deprived than I thought, because even
the sight of the common houseplant-type Spathiphyllum in flower was
gratifying.  A coworker of mine bought two small Scindapsis, not for
herself, but for the reptile exhibit she was working on.  But as I stood
there among the potted plants -- not all of them Aroids -- I felt a twinge.
I love the travelling life, seeing new places; but there are times when I
see the advantage of settling down.

Anyway, I have very much enjoyed being privy to all your discussions of
Aroid rarities.  One day, I am sure, I, too, will be asking advice on
Anthuriums or Monsteras.  Until then, I will continue looking at the wild
plants.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large