Re: advice please

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: advice please
  • From: "George R Stilwell, Jr." <grsjr@juno.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 17:21:11 -0500 (CDT)

The Arisaema you have labeled is actually A. dracontium, one of the three
species native to
North America. (note Arisaema names don't end in "ia", rather "ium"
because of the rules
of Latin).

The un-named species can be best identified by sending the digital photo
file to
Eric Gouda <e.j.gouda@bio.uu.nl> with a request to enter it into the
Arisaema Identification page
It will be viewed by Arisaema experts from around the world to determine
it's identity.

If you are seriously interested in Arisaema, I recommend joining AEG,
Arisaema Enthusiasts Group.
We've just completed Seedex-2000, a seed distribution to 169 members
world wide. There were well over
10,000 seeds distributed. We support 2 web sites, have a private
discussion list, and publish information
about Arisaema. The organization is supported entirely by completely
voluntary donations,
the tireless efforts of members who run the web sites and publication
distribution, and the
gracious support of the University of Utrecht which runs our discussion

I'm currently growing A. cordatum, one of the tropical species from Hong
Kong, and am amazed
to find two plants that have survived a few North Carolina winters. One
is even blooming
right now. But, Dewey is correct that most Arisaema have a hard time in
locations where they
don't get at least a month, better two, of temperatures in the 40F range
or below. Many species
seem to need the cold period to thrive. Some AEG members have stored the
dormant tubers
in a refrigerator for a couple of months each winter - much as
northerners lift tubers and bulbs
of tender perennials for the winter. This seems to work fine if they're
kept barely moist.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!