Re: A. wentii, and pothos blooms

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: A. wentii, and pothos blooms
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:27:33 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Boyce <Boyce@pothos.demon.co.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, April 17, 2000 7:41 PM

Dear Pete,
Yes, I now recall that the one we collected did not have the var. colored
leaves!   However, I believe that Epipremnum does flower more commonly than
the record indicates, but has to be allowed to grow to adult size first,
which may take several years.  The ones that I`ve seen in bloom here in
W.P.B., Florida have been allowed to grow 'wild' up the trunks of huge
native pine trees, where high up the stems seem to grow away from the tree
trunk and sort of cascade downwards, and it is near the ends of these
falling shoots that I have seen blooms, but have thought how difficult it
would be to collect them as they are so high up!   I will keep my eyes open
for an opportunity to collect a couple IF the opportunity was to present
itself in the future.

Epipremnum aureum very seldom flowers in cultivation. To my knowledge there
are four recorded flowerings.
ps the giant that Julius and I collected in Monroe's garden was the related
Amydrium zippellianum.<