Re: A. wentii, and pothos blooms

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: A. wentii, and pothos blooms
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:28:10 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: toeric <toeric@ev1.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, April 17, 2000 7:38 PM

   Dear Eric,
See my letter to the list in answer to Pete`s, and yes, they seem to require
lots of light, sun, TIME, and space to grow to adults and then to bloom.
Sounds like in your situation they do not get these 'needs', a smaller leaf
may be the plant wanting to go into the 'runner' stage where it produces
these runners with small, cordate leaves which 'search' for a suitable tree
to climb!   This is the stage in which they are sold in dept. stores!
According to Aroideana Vol. 7,  A. wentii may be from N. Guinea, and the
almost peltate leaves are 18-20" long by 9-10" wide, bronze-green with
lighter midrib and veins.
It is speculated that the plant sold as A. 'wentii' may be a hybrid
involving A. cuprea.  That`s all that I could glean from the article, maybe
someone else will tell you how to best grow it.

> Wow, wish I could see that!   You must be right, but I do have one that
has leaves about two foot.    I have never been able to figure out how to
get them to grow bigger.   Since I use them for filler and to add a
tropical look to my porch they are in shade so there leaves stay the same
size or each one is smaller than the last.   They must like a good bit of
light maybe even some direct sun?
      So anyone know any thing about my other question on Alocasia
wentii?   What size will it get and what growing conditions does it
like.  Thanks y'all.