Re: AMORPHOPHALLUS @ Fairchild Tropical Garden

Neil,

you are talking about an ideal world where never ever plant labels get
lost or mixed up. If you are going to hybridize Amorphophallus in
your own cultivation, this is perfectly ok and might result in some
beautiful new clones.

BUT as soon as these hybrids are going to be distributed to other
aroiders, then this will have fatal effects sooner or later. Even the
best documents and records will get lost in the one or other
cultivation some day, there's no doubt about it.

Just face the fact, that plants will be mixed up in the ongoing
distribution and redistribution process and not all of us have the
possibilities nor knowlegdes to make a proper identification for
unlabeled Amorphophallus.

Thus it is very likely for example that a hybrid which is phenotypical
(don't know the exact word in English = appearance of a plant) close
to a species might be re-distributed as the species ...

Even to think about it seems a nightmare to me.

> If documented, what is the problem with trying to hybridize
> Amorphophallus?
> (BTW the plural of Amorphophallus is Amorphophallus)

Isn't it Amorphophalli ???

Cheers,

Bjørn Malkmus