Re: weeds are plants too

I live on Long Island in a seemingly slightly cooler pocket than the rest
of LI.  It always seems about 3-4 degrees cooler in my yard than in
friends' yards just a few blocks away.  Their bulbs come up earlier and
their first frost is usually a week or so later.  Anyway, this is supposed
to be zone 7a although I've rarely seen it below the upper single digits
and haven't seen the temperature drop below 8 degrees in the past 3
years.  That would technically make it 7b.  The problem has usually been
the duration of the cold and not just the absolute bottom
temperature.  This year, we're having the latest spring I've ever seen.

 From the number and type of responses I've gotten, I look forward to
photographs of a small bed of Gonatopus (I have only a small handful of
tubers so far)..  I'll probably try to place a link for some soothing New
Age music to play while viewing that page to relax the rabid southerners
who decompensate while looking at the web page.

If phalloids have been used as a food source by various cultures, have no
cultures tried to eat these tubers?  It seems like they could solve the
world hunger problem from the reported rampant growth habits.  McGonatopus