Re: A. konjac growth chart and questions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: A. konjac growth chart and questions
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@execpc.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:22:13 -0500 (CDT)

>From Jonathan Ertelt
>	Given that your address is Wisconsin, I can safelly assume then
>that this rate of growth was from a plant in a pot?

Yes, about 16 inches in diameter

>Did you by any chance
>note weather conditions through the month, especially sun, since you're
>controlling the temperature (more-or-less). And what is your temperature
range?

My konjacs seem to flower rather independently of light.  In fall,
after the first frost, I move the pots into my dark basement, where
they stay at a temp of perhaps 50-60F (10-16C).  I currently keep
them in the pots, although I have not always done so.  Being planted
is NOT a prerequisite for flowering (they have flowered on my desktop
with no soil whatsoever), but being potted gives them some support.

If the the tuber is to flower, it is always noticeable by late
February, when the growing tip begins to elongate.  A non-blooming
plant will show no appreciable growth at this time, while a flowering
plant will have an inch (2.54 cm) of growth already.  The plants do
respond to being brought up into the house at a temp of 68-70F
(20-21C), where they will be begin growing at an increased rate.  I
do not know how long flowering could be delayed by keeping them at a
lower temperature.  Maybe some year, I'll keep one in the 'frig.

The tuber profiled in my chart was grown in a windowless room with
fluorescent lighting for barely 7 hours.  The temperature was a
constant 70F (21C).

 From Les Kallus:

At 4:50 PM -0500 4/4/01, Lester Kallus wrote:
>  I've been told that sometimes konjacs choose to rest a year rather
>thang going directly to leaf growth.  What conditions can I offer to
>make it grow leaves this summer?   Currently it's still in a pot in
>a well draining soil mix and is sitting in my greenhouse where day
>temperatures range from 75 to 90 and night temperatures range from
>65-70.  Is this best or should I put it in different conditions?

I have had just about all combinations:  Flowering 2 years
consecutively, skipping a year of flowering, and even skipping an
entire year of vegetative growth!

For me, at least, plants of A. konjac seem give the best foliage
growth in a semi-sunny rather than a full sun situation.  Perhaps
this is because some of this species like to grow at the forest edge.
Here is a photo of 1 of my plants last summer:

http://www.execpc.com/~llmen/leaves1.jpg

Les, your plant should do well just as it is.  I give mine a bit of
extra bulb food or bone meal.

--
Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin