Taxonomy is dead!?!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Taxonomy is dead!?!
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:17:51 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Al,

    Very interesting comment, indeed. The PhyloCode have some interesting
advantages, and many problems too. Anyway, it makes no difference which
approach you are using: probably both are wrong. Taxonomy reflects the
biodiversity just like Euclidean Geometry reflects the real world. Have you
ever seen perfect cubes, pyramids or prisms occurring naturally in our
world? No? Neither me. We are all pretenders... I think I need another job!

                               Eduardo - Old-fashioned plant taxonomist
                                       (Endangered species)

P.S. Maybe someday we will create some kind of "Fractal Taxonomy"... Anyway,
it will take much time!