Re: Oh NO! Spider Mites!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Oh NO! Spider Mites!
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:12:43 -0500 (CDT)

Nyles,

If you're searching for an aroid-friendly miticide, I'd suggest using "Pentac".
Very safe as these things go, Pentac is mite specific and won't kill beneficial
insects (it's an acaricide, not an insecticide).  It's slow acting initially; treated
mites stop feeding in a few hours but don't die for 1 - 3 days.  Hence Pentac
is optimally used in a preventative type program or when an infestation is first
discovered.

Obviously, your mite population has already become well established.
In this case you might consider mixing the Pentac directly with some other product
exhibiting a faster knock-down; Pentac is compatible with all common insecticides.
One aroid-safe product I can highly recommend is "Mavrik", a synthetic-pyrethroid.

Mix the two compounds together then add a spreader-sticker (now here's a good
application for your failed Safer's soap!).  Follow up on days 5 and 10 with another
spraying and I can assure you: the pending apocalypse will be unequivocally canceled.
At least until next season.

Best of luck,
 -Dan Levin