Re: Amorphophallus tubers

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus tubers
  • From: "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:29:55 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Read" <exoticplants@hotmail.com>
To: "Multiple recipients of list AROID-L" <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 2:33 AM
Subject: Amorphophallus tubers

In the vicinity of Tooting Broadway tube station I found a couple of Sri
Lankan greengrocers/general stores with an interesting array of produce:
Amorphophallus paeoniifolius (several kilos each) at 2.65 a kilo,
Pachyrhizus erosus (yam bean), same price, Feronia limonia (wood apples),
same price, Moringa oleifera (drumsticks), various yams, banana flowers,
jackfruit seeds, etc. From these two shops you could raise an interesting
display of edible tropical houseplants. Next time I shall try Southall
market as Peter Boyce suggests - it may be even better!
                                Chris Read