RE: Soil mix!!

  • Subject: RE: Soil mix!!
  • From: "Cooper, Susan L." <SLCooper@scj.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:54:51 -0600 (CST)

Can someone explain the pine bark to me?  I've never quite gotten it clear
in my mind...
I thought folks put down pine mulch because "something" in the pine bark
helps prevent weeds from growing.  The explanation given to me was that not
much grows in a pine forest (except the pines, duh) due to some inhibitor
with the pine needles, or roots or ???.
Am I just totally nuts or has anyone else ever heard this?

If it isn't true I'll start adding a little pine bark to my mix, it is easy
to find here (up north), people use it for decoration.

pine bark.  The bark may be hard to find in the north, but half or more of
perlite to a peat based mix is better than the peat by itself.