Bark, was Re: Soil mix!!

  • Subject: Bark, was Re: Soil mix!!
  • From: Iza & Carol Goroff <goroff@idcnet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:38:41 -0600 (CST)

Most greenhouse orchids are potted in fir bark, not so different from pine
bark. Many commercial pot plants are potted in one kind of bark or another.
Bark mixes, mostly bark are used by nurseries specializing in broadleaf

The effect of a pine mulch in preventing the germination of weeds is due to
shading the soil surface where weed seeds require light to germinate.

Iza Goroff
Whitewater Wisconsin USA zone 4b