Re: Soil mix!!

  • Subject: Re: Soil mix!!
  • From: "George R Stilwell, Jr." <grsjr@juno.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:24:13 -0600 (CST)

>The pine bark used in soilless mixes is finer particulate size and is
>composted so that most of the parts of the bark which are digestible by
>micro-organisms are used up with only the hard to digest lignified parts
>are left. The size of the pieces of pine bark are 1/4 inch or so and are
>not the big chunks you find used for garden mulch.

Quite true. I use a product called "Aged Base". I found out about it at
the J. C. Raulston
Arboretum where they use it by the 30 yard truckload. Unfortunately, the
that sells the stuff was bought by a bigger outfit, so I'm not sure it's
aged as well
any more. In any event, I add micronutrients and nitrogen to help it

Here's one very successful Azalea growers formula in 3 versions:

Wilder's Mix
   5 gal.            2 1/2 gal.       5 gal.        sand
                        2 1/2 gal.                        pearlite
   5 gal.                  5 gal.       5 gal.         peat
   2 tsp.                  2 tsp.        1 tsp.        hyd. lime
   6 tsp.                  6 tsp.        1 tsp.        dolomite
   4 tsp.                  4 tsp.        2 tsp.        soluable fert.

That ought to be complex enough to keep all the "mix addicts" happy.
If not, here's another one:

GRACE Nursery Rhododendron/Azalea Growing Medium	index

Basic Mix
  1 cu. yd. Concrete Sand
  4 cu. yd. Ground Pinebark

Additives per 5 cu. ft. mix