Re: Soil mix and pine bark

  • Subject: Re: Soil mix and pine bark
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:31:47 -0600 (CST)

Susan,

When I was at Selby I planted quite a few of their Amorphophallus titanum seeds from the pollination in 1999. I placed some seeds on NZ spaghnum, some on top of sand, some lightly covered in sand, some on top of fine perlite, and virtually every seed germinated. They were all placed on the mist bench with bottom heat. I even planted some seeds that looked like the "runts" after having mailed out all the plump beautiful seeds, and even they came up! I talked to people later who had received the seeds (packed in slightly damp newspaper) and many had germinated during shipment.

This is one species that we should not have any trouble propagating from seed, the challenge is finding space to house the mature plants!!!

Donna Atwood