Re: Soil Mix

  • Subject: Re: Soil Mix
  • From: "Clarence Hammer" <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:36:25 -0600 (CST)

I find that seedling and young Aroids in small pots of 3 to 4" do well in
soilless mixes.  It's the larger pots, one gallon and bigger, that I think
need the aeration of more 'crunchy' stuff.  I've heard  good things about
Metromix, but have never seen it here in central Fla.  Will have to ask

Again, I think it depends your climate as to how moisture retentive you need
your mix to be.  The peaty 'straight
out of the bag' mixes are probably an advantage in less humid areas of the
country.  Growing under cover, or
out in the yard would be a consideration too.