Re: Composting!!! Do's and don'ts!!!

  • Subject: Re: Composting!!! Do's and don'ts!!!
  • From: Tom and Ann Kline <TomAnnKline@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:31:44 -0600 (CST)

Dear Angel, it is all but impossible to make compost unless you have a garden.
I know, there are garden magazines full of small composters that make enough
compost for one or two pots.  I have  a 1/3 acre garden in northern Virginia and
I haven't thrown a single thing down on the street to be picked up as refuse for
sixteen years.  I mine bags and bags of compost that we sift to use for the
garden and potting continually, black gold we call it.  But that is one of the
pluses of having a garden.  All we do is cut/break all branches and shoots into
6 to 12 inch lengths and throw them on the pile along with any weeds etc that
are removed from the garden over the years and rake out the finished compost
from the bottom.  I have neither the time nor the strength to do anything more,
but I have literally hundreds of assorted aroids growing in my garden all fed
with the wonderful stuff whenever I remember to to do it.  Ann Kline,  Falls
Church, Virginia   USDA Zone 7A