Re: The Tropical Plants of R. Burle Marx

  • Subject: Re: The Tropical Plants of R. Burle Marx
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 09:37:33 -0600 (CST)

Dear Aroiders,

    Yes, Dan is correct: plantarum.com.br is not the biggest book seller in
Brazil. By now, they were most interested in distribute their books within
Brazil, so they may not so fast with worldwide internet commerce. In
addition, Dan was correct when he said that Harri Lorenzi is almost the
entire time in field trips or writing the books. He is the owner and the
bookwriter! (and also the field man) By the other side, his books has much
more research on it that most (fastly arriving) horticulture books I have
seen around. Just try this.

                        Very best wishes,

                                  Eduardo.

>From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
>Subject: Re: The Tropical Plants of R. Burle Marx
>Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:24:50 -0600 (CST)
>
>Jim & Rob, et al:
>
>---
>My 2 worth: No pun intended, but plantarum.com.br is NOT amazon.com.
>My sense is Harri's pretty much running a one man shop and if he happens
>to be in the field doing research for his next book...  well, you just
>might not
>get an immediate response.  Eduardo Goncalves would know better about this.
>
>Also- you're right Jim, their server is not secure.  I took a chance but
>opted
>to use a credit card which expires soon just in case.  And for the record,
>I've
>had no unauthorized purchases posted to my account since then BUT shortly
>after ordering I started getting some interesting spam in a language I'm
>not
>particularly fluent in.  For me it was worth the risk, but caveat emptor!
>

> > Has any one ordered this book? I was interested in getting two copies
>but I
> > was concerned that they do not have a secure server for credit card
> > transactions. My attemps to e-mail them have not had any response.

Eduardo G. Goncalves
Laboratorio de Fitoquimica
Depto. de Botanica - IB
Universidade de Sao Paulo