symplocarpus (skunk cabbage) querys

  • Subject: symplocarpus (skunk cabbage) querys
  • From: "Mike Bosold" <mbosold@meijergardens.org>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:12:04 -0500 (CDT)

While at me friends house last night I walked his new property and found
myself surrounded by skunk cabbage,  what a lovely sight!  Beautiful and
very prolific. Was thinking about transplanting some to the gardens here in
our native/wet areas.  I was wondering if these transplant well, and when
the best time to do it would be.  They are fully showing the spathe/spadix
and the leaf bud is about 1" tall.  Most are about medium to large size and
look quite mature.  Should I choose the bigger ones or the smaller ones?
The area here is almost identical in soil and moisture content.  Any
help/suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks
p.s.  what about seed starting, any comments on this cool plant

Michael Bosold
Outdoor Horticulturist
Frederik Meijer Gardens
1000 East Beltline Ave. NE