Re: symplocarpus (skunk cabbage) querys

  • Subject: Re: symplocarpus (skunk cabbage) querys
  • From: Bob Burns <bobburns61@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:28:13 -0500 (CDT)

About skunk-cabbage:
      Though I have none around me now and would love
some (in central GA) I grew up in MI in skunk-cabbage
heaven.  I would mark the plants you want to move
somehow and wait till they go dormant, say late in the
summer or in the fall, to move them.  There is a
rhizome down there, and on a big one it can be both
deeper and bigger than you might think.  If you must
try to move one while growing, then be prepared to dig
up a huge root ball all around and under the
plant...like maybe the size of a bushel basket?  When
they are dormant there won't be as many live roots
attached to the rhizome and it will tolerate their
loss better.  Of course moving a small one would be
proportionally easier.  I'd guess, too, that it would
be a slow process to grow this to blooming size from
seed...like maybe five years?  You should be able to
find some closer to you, too...it's pretty common up
there.
                Bob Burns