Re: RE: Typhonium hardiness

  • Subject: Re: RE: Typhonium hardiness
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:06:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, James W. Waddick wrote:

> 	In my Zone 5 garden in Kansas city, T. giganteum is THE
> LATEST aroid to emerge. Just when I have given up and realized it
> finally croaked last winter it pops up in July or August!! I never
> even see it is spring and early summer. By the time it finally
> emerges, we have had weeks of 100F plus. Of course you didn't mention
> where you live or climate info.

Same here, roughly 200 miles south and in zone 6 (NW Arkansas). By the
time T. giganteum shows up, I've usually forgotten it's there.

> 	I still haven't convinced myself if it does best in sun,
> shade or half way there.
>
> 	No clue		Jim W.

Again, same here. I've tried all three. I've nearly talked myself into
favoring half shade, but that might be because I don't want to move them
again. I do get better flowering than in full shade.

Despite years of inflorescences, I've yet to see a seed.

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu