Re: RE: Typhonium hardiness

  • Subject: Re: RE: Typhonium hardiness
  • From: "James W. Waddick" <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:32:12 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Marc;
You wrote

>Ironically, I am starting to think than T. giganteum isnt only hardy
>in cold temps.. I am about ready to believe that it doesnt like hot
>temps period...
>
>I routinely kill mine at the beginning of our spring and summer here
>as temps get out of control.

	In my Zone 5 garden in Kansas city, T. giganteum is THE
LATEST aroid to emerge. Just when I have given up and realized it
finally croaked last winter it pops up in July or August!! I never
even see it is spring and early summer. By the time it finally
emerges, we have had weeks of 100F plus. Of course you didn't mention
where you live or climate info.

	It has very shallow tubers and these seems to go 'up and
down' in the soil over the year. After blooming new small round
tubers roll away from the parent plant and then seem to disappear
until next July. If I don't catch a few tubers in fall, I can rarely
find any to move them to a new location.

	I still haven't convinced myself if it does best in sun,
shade or half way there.

	No clue		Jim W.

	Best

Dr. James W. Waddick