RE: How big DO they get.

  • Subject: RE: How big DO they get.
  • From: StroWi@t-online.de (StroWi)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:50:12 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Bill Weaver,

thanks for responding!

"WEAVER,BILL (HP-USA,ex3)" <bill_weaver@hp.com> schrieb:
> I have noticed that light levels have a direct correlation to petiole height
> in that lower levels produce longer petioles. Could this work the other way
> around? If I were to put a bright light just above the new sprout as it
> emerged
> and kept it close to the growing leaf, would that induce it to produce a
> shorter
> petiole? (All this assumes I can't put it out in full bright sunlight and I
> keep
> the light source just far enough away to avoid burning the leaf)
> Bill Weaver
> bill_weaver@hp.com

If the light intensity is too low it will certainly help.
When doing this, it will be important to use the right light source, since it is known that a light source with a high portion of dark red will support elongation of internodes again. Contrary a high blue portion will support compact growth.
However, when for instance one of the big Amorphs gets taller and when light conditions are near to the optimum, I would expect that it cannot be kept short even by giving it extra blue light. One again has to think of other means and here I would come back to growth retardants.

Thanks again and good growing,
Bernhard Strolka.
Dollbergen, Germany
approx. Zone 6/7