Re: Dead Horses?

  • Subject: Re: Dead Horses?
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:54:58 -0500 (CDT)

>	I am expecting bloom for the first time. The very strangely
>shaped 'bent-horn' of the tightly rolled spathe is emerging and about
>8 inches long on top of the foliage.

Once the bent horn is below horizontal it usually opens for me, not before.
 I have had it flower for me two successive years.  Absolutely stunning in
flower.  I sent pics to the IBS-Images list last year I think and can do so
again if you'd like?

>	Should I invite or warn my neighbors?

I have been told that this is one of the worst smells of all the Aroids,
yet mine is almost completely unscented.  I have literally stuck my nose
into it as I could not smell anyting.  With my nose in it there was a faint
smell.  Not even a patch compared to Dracunculus vulgaris which pongs for
metres and metres around (even though this was originally Dracunulus
muscivorus then renamed to Helicodicerus as far as I know).  So.... whether
you have one that stinks or not may depend on either climate or genetics as
mine has not had any pong at all either year.

Obviously mine has not been reading the literature to know that it is
supposed to stink.... and I am CERTAINLY not going to be taking a book out
there and teaching it <grin>.

Good luck with it.  Very dramatic flower when open, but unfortunately
doesn't last for long.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything
else that doesn't move!!!!!