Re: largish (grapefrut) sized A. peonifolia?

  • Subject: Re: largish (grapefrut) sized A. peonifolia?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:59:46 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: David Ruland <druland@atlantabotanicalgarden.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 9:43 PM

Ah Ha!!!   This has 'tickled' my memory!    Ratalu is a purpel-fleshed
species of Dioscorea, Scott Hyndman (our IAS President) and Petra bought
some tubers while we toured a Vietnamese market just a couple months ago.
My Indian grocery also had some for sale, as did a W.I. grocery nearby.   It
is also sold in cans at the Indian store.   It is a delectable starch,
though the color of the peeled/cooked vegetable is quite startling, a rich
dark purple-lilac!   When grown as a plant it becomes a vine w/ cordate

>>If the ratalu is the same as what I found with the suran in atlanta it
is some kind of dioscorea yam thing. very attractive vine with purple