Informal survey: ladybug oddities?

  • Subject: Informal survey: ladybug oddities?
  • From: "Kathy Kempf" <wont_read101@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:27:06 -0500 (CDT)

I am taking part in our local university's study about Multicolored Asian
Lady Beetles.  Anybody else in the country/world notice ladybugs acting odd
in the fall?  They were released in the midwest several times in the past
couple of decades to try to help control aphids in hardwood forests.
Trouble is, they swarm and try to find places to hibernate.  Since they
can't find cliffs as in their native habitat, they are infesting people's
houses by the hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands here in the
American midwest.  I know they have penetrated into central Indiana, but not
yet into western New York (Buffalo area).

They also bite, and increasing numbers of people are having allergic
reactions.

These look very similar to native American ladybugs; they are colored from
dark to light orange, with varying numbers of black spots.

For more information, check out the Ohio State University IPM site at
www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~ipm/

I am not a researcher with this group, just a participant.