[aroid-l] Pleasant smell of Arum dioscoridis?

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Pleasant smell of Arum dioscoridis?
  • From: Krzysztof Kozminski kk@kozminski.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 09:17:16 -0800

I came out today to see that my A.dioscorididis v. luschanii was open (might have opened yesterday). Last year, it had no discernible smell at all, perhaps because I cut it up off early to get close-up photos (some of the ones residing in http://www.aroid.org/genera/arum/dioscoridis/index.html).

This year, a surprise. There was nothing pungent around the plant, so I stuck my nose into the inflorescence, and was greeted with faint smell resembling jasmine & orange blossoms.

I've heard that some essential oils (indol) have pleasant smell when highly diluted, and exhibit fecal/putrid smell in high concentration. Would this be the case for whatever is supposed to make A.dioscoridis the most evil smelling of all arums?

KK