[aroid-l] TitanWatch: Amorphophallus gigas

  • Subject: [aroid-l] TitanWatch: Amorphophallus gigas
  • From: "Craig Allen" callen@fairchildgarden.org
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:25:19 -0400

I got out my tape measure this morning to measure the blooming Amorphophallus gigas. This morning the inflorescence reached 9' and isn't ready to bloom yet. The peduncle (inflorescence stalk) is 19" in circumference at ground level. This baby will release it's odor for a week. Waiting for the big stink!
I have another one that is up about 9" this morning, and still another smaller plant that is about to unfurl a leaf.
Amorphophallus titanum: 'Mr. Stinky' is up at about 6". The growth is very fat compared to 'Alice the Amorphophallus' which is about the same height, but a very slender and tapered. I'm wondering if that indicates 'Mr. Stinky' is about to bloom, though I wish they both would so one would be easy to pollinate.
Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road