[Aroid-l] Amorph. titanum seedling dormancy

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorph. titanum seedling dormancy
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:59:28 -0400

I planted 10 Amorph. titanum seeds on July 1, 2004. I got 100% germination over the next 3 months, so the oldest seedlings are just 9 months old.

4 of the 15 have entered their first dormancy in the last month. I was expecting them to produce a second leaf rather than going dormant, but that's not happening. The tubers on the first two were the size of a ping-pong ball, approximately. Firm and healthy looking. (The second two have just gone, I haven't exhumed them yet.)

Are my seedlings behaving as others have experienced? Assuming everything is OK how long should I expect them to sleep before sending up the second leaf? I've been keeping the soil of the dormant ones slightly moist - I believe that's right for titanum.

The room they're in gets *very* warm during the day now that we're getting better sun, so they should be happy about that.

Thanks for your advice,
Ken Mosher, Connecticut USA, zone 5