[Aroid-l] Off topic: Lycopodium in arrangements question

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Off topic: Lycopodium in arrangements question
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 21:07:42 -0500 (CDT)

Undaunted by the silence on my "Philodendron barryii" question, I have another.
It's not an aroid question, but I'll bet several people on this list know the
answer.

I saw some cut flower arrangements this past weekend which contained stems of a
filler I initially thought was a remarkably large and stiff selaginella. My
wife - who had the sense to broaden her search beyond selaginellas when those
queries turned up nothing - found some hits on lycopodium, and from those it
appears that lycopodium stems are now a common filler in the cut flower trade.

First question: what species is this? I was told the arrangements were
mail-ordered from "somewhere in Hawaii", and a number of firms there offer
lycopodium stems as a filler. I have an idea, but since I'm sure you guys know
for certain, I'll just ask.

Second question: I gather lycopodiums can be rooted from cuttings, but that
it's not all that easy. Does anyone have any hints? Because I'm going to try,
of course.

Thanks,

Steve

-- Steve Marak