Re: [Aroid-l] Off topic: Lycopodium in arrangements question

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Off topic: Lycopodium in arrangements question
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:45:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Reggie,

Thanks for the information, and the link to your lycopodium page. I had
stumbled across it before, actually, while doing some web research on these
fascinating plants. Lovely. I've also exchanged some e-mail with Chad re
equisetums - it's a small botanical world.

I've found several images on web pages of various companies which sell foliage
for the cut-flower market which appear to be the one in question. I'll include
the URLs below. I can also snap a few digital pictures, if these aren't
sufficient, and find somewhere to put them.

Re cuttings, the one web resource I found on the topic seemed to imply that use
of rooting hormones had essentially no effect on the species they tested - do
you recommend for or against, and if for, any particular concentration or
ingrediant? (Or media, for that matter?)

The URLs:

The last says "a native of New Zealand", but I'm including it because, if it's
not the one sitting in my greenhouse, it certainly looks like it.

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 Regferns@aol.com wrote:

> Steve (and others who might be interested),
> Is there a photo of the floral arrangement so that we might be able to see
> which Lycopodium species you are referring?  I have a large collection of
> Lycopodium, and they are quite varied.  (I am attaching a page of some of the
> plants in my collection:  _www.tfeps.org/lycopodium_squarrosum.htm_
> (http://www.tfeps.org/lycopodium_squarrosum.htm) )  I suppose some species
> could be used in a flora arrangement, but I am not aware of any that are.
> Growing them from cuttings can be done, under great care and a watchful eye.
> Some species are easier to propagate from cuttings than others.  They tend to
> linger and rot, unless you pay close attention to them and use a free
> draining medium. Charles Alford in Vero Beach, Florida and Chad Husby in
> Miami have also grown these plants from cuttings.
> If you have a photo, please send it on to me.
> Reggie Whitehead

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list