Re: [Aroid-l] Off topic: Lycopodium in arrangements question

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Off topic: Lycopodium in arrangements question
  • From: Norma Jean Cream hermine@endangeredspecies.com
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:57:31 -0700

Harry, I've seen the same thing - cuttings which don't rot but don't root
either - from some sansevierias. I took several cuttings from the best looking
of the few I have. Although all 5 cuttings were from the same leaf, 1 rooted
in a few months, 1 took 2 years, 1 took more than 3 years, and the other
2 rotted - but only after about 3.5 years.

Steve

this is INTERESTING. i had a real hard time re-establishing some wild collected tropical lycopodiums a very long time ago. However, in rooting leaf cuts of Sansevierias, i never had what you describe. I either get dead leaves or the usual, rooted leaf with a succession of young ones coming off a piece of callus tissue which over time can get pretty baroque and overgrown. If there is any trick to rooting them it is bottom heat, after the leaf is well callused. best is a very hot humid propagating greenhouse, humidity at the max and about 100 degrees during the day. a person can fake this in a terrarium.

what were the species which behaved this way?

herm