Re: [Aroid-l] Off topic: Lycopodium in arrangements question

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Off topic: Lycopodium in arrangements question
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 11:05:23 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks to Alan, Harry, Michael, Reggie, and those who replied off list about

I'll try some cuttings expecting failure, so I'll be pleasantly surprised by
any success at all.

Fortunately, these stems are pretty big, much larger than the temperate
lycodpodiums which grow wild somewhere here in Arkansas. (I say somewhere
because I've spent a lot of time tramping around looking at plants in the wild
here, and I've never seen one.)

Each is about 45 cm. long, and they'd already been clipped both bottom and top,
so I had enough material to try several mediums and several strengths of
rooting hormones.

Harry, I've seen the same thing - cuttings which don't rot but don't root
either - from some sansevierias. I took several cuttings from the best looking
of the few I have. Although all 5 cuttings were from the same leaf, 1 rooted
in a few months, 1 took 2 years, 1 took more than 3 years, and the other
2 rotted - but only after about 3.5 years.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list