Re: [Aroid-l] Slow rooting

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Slow rooting
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway sfhatheway@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 14:13:27 -0700 (PDT)

I've never had Sanseveria root slowly, but my one
attempt at rooting Zamioculcas zamiifolia was a real
cliff-hanger!  Knowing my compulsive-obsessive
disorder regarding broken off leaves, the floral
manager at our local store gave me a leaf that had
broken off with instructions to root it if I could.
Well, I took it home, carefully cut off each of the
leaflets, and stuck them in some dampened, sterile
potting mix in a clear plastic bag.  They just sat
there, and sat there, and sat there for 14 MONTHS!!!
Then one day I guess they just gave up and started
sending up little shoots.  I guess some things just
can't be hurried up.

Now I'm trying to propagate a caladium leaf that also
had the good grace to fall off.  I cut across several
of the main "veins" the way we do for some begonias
and gloxinias and laid it out flat on some sterile mix
in high humidity and bright but not direct light.  If
you know that this is an exercise in futility, don't
tell me.  Just let me live in my dream world for a
little while longer.

Sheldon Hatheway
Canby, OR
Zone 7B or 8 or whatever