Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus hewittii or (the tuber in soil ...)

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus hewittii or (the tuber in soil ...)
  • From: ALLAN TETZLAFF <atetzlaff@rogers.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:10:06 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings Peter,
First off, your English is very understandable and I admire you for that.  I wish I was as good in German!
Anyway,  I have grown a bunch of hewettii from seed (likely about 30) and only lost a couple.  Almost all have gone through dormancy.....  This is what I do.....
1.  When the leaf starts to died down, I slow down on the watering until the soil is only damp, never wet.
2.  When the leaf dies down completely and can easily be removed, I knock the whole thing out of the pot.  The roots have died off at this point.
3.  I clean off the bulb and put it in a new container with fresh potting mix that has been made moist (not wet, just moist).
4.  I keep it like that.  I think there is something perhaps about the bulb membrane, but these ones cannot dry out which is why it says to store them in the soil.  The soil needs to have moisture content so the bulb does not dry out.
Just so that you know, the seedlings kept making leaves for about 2 years before going dormant for the first time.... and the dormant period has only been about 2 -3 months.
I'm doing the same thing with my decus-silvae and kachinensis seedlings and they are fine as well - not quite so lucky with macrorhizus....
Cheers from Canada,

Baumfarn Webmaster <webmaster@baumfarn.at> wrote:
Some month ago, some of my A.hewittii had lost their last leaf. The
majority is still green since 2 years, some even get their next leaf.
Since I notices that they love it wet (allthough I read several times
never to water dormant plant :-( mea culpa), I watered them a bit
afterward. But also this watering I stopped already since months'.
Today I dig them out:
1x vanished
1x shrivled nearly completely
2x shrivles a bit but squashy/mellow/softish (which correct in english?)
1x didn't shrivled at all, but a bit softish

Now this experience gives me some questions:
1) Allthough I stopped watering; but if I watered too much they should
all shrivled or vanished or at least clearly died of. But they didn't.
Why?? (I hope to save the last 3.)
2) The soil was completely dried off: Why should the tubers be left in
soil during resting?? (Aroideana 19)
Should this just preserve the roots? The definetly couldn't get any
humidity from this 'deserted' soil.
3) I put the last 3 tubers in charcoal. This shoudl save them, if there
are any chances?! Or would be an earth/Charcoal mixture better?

Thanks in advance
PS: I hope my english is at least partly understandable?!

treeferns & aroids: http://www.baumfarn.at/treefern (http://www.baumfarn.at)
Amorphophallus network: http://www.amorphophallus.baumfarn.at/

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list